"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today ..."







Tuesday, October 30, 2012


MY DEAR ALOK....

He is fifteen, tall, has a flair for Maths and loves to read. He is studying in Std. VIII.  Alok finds delight in being alone and has very few friends. Plays volley ball, basket ball as he chooses. He feels very uncomfortable with rules and regulations. Seems to be allergic to instructions. Feels uncomfortable with rules and regulations.  If not permitted to enter a room he uses his own ‘keys’ – stone! “ I asked for the key. I had to enter the room! What do you expect me to do?”
There are moments when he prays loud at prayer assemblies though he does not manifest a taste for things spiritual. “ I don’t believe in prayers!” We don’t force him either.
Recently he got into a fight with his companions, ran to the police station when he was punched and complained of harassment by hiS companions.  Soon he was back. Remained sullen for a few days until he was called and listened to!
Alok has no home! He knows that he is from Andhra Pradesh. Ran away from home and landed in Kerala. He was just 8 years old! Kept in a Govt, home and was repatriated to his ‘ home’. Soon he escaped and found himself here!  In fact, this is his second coming !
Alok is dear to me. I do like him a lot. He teaches me to be patient, understanding, unconditional and forgiving. As a teen he has his ups and downs, mood swings, highs and lows, good days and bad days. I am sure he will turn around and be a great guy : “ I want to become rich and famous”, he told me.  He has to shed his selfishness and be healed of his  ‘allergies’! I am sure he will make it big in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment