"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today ..."







Sunday, October 20, 2013

CHILDREN’S DAY OUT


Will I try for another experience – the type I had on Oct. 19? I think I will. It all began with a loving invitation by a young lady who was working with us for three months, three years ago! It was her engagement. She wanted at least 50 children to share her joy. We settled for 9 since the children had to go to school! The girl wanted me to be present too and I volunteered to take the children aged 5yrs and 6yrs with me. Little did I know what exactly was venturing into!

Once we reached the lobby of the hall I gently and smilingly pleaded with the children  to be seated on the sofas. My pleas seemed to fall on deaf years!  Soon they started to jump on the springy- sofa joyfully and had lots of fun while I looked around to see if there were  any disapproving frowns from people around. Now tired of the sofa-experience they started to run around climbing the stairs and having a great time. All the time I sat grinning at the guests who by now had started arriving.

Being fagged out by now they spotted the welcome drink being served. They started rushing towards the drink. They were obviously very thirsty!  I had a tough time telling them to be orderly. Then they wanted to taste all the different types of drink that were offered!

By now hundred long minutes had moved on and I was hoping that the young lady and her would-be-husband would arrive to offer me a respite! Finally they arrived and were led to the reception hall.

Now it was lunch time. My nine buddies had to be lined up for the buffet lunch. They picked up what they wanted. Now we had no chairs to be seated and the hunt for vacant chairs began. Thank God I was in my clerical attire and people were kind! Meanwhile I had left the whole business of controlling them to one or two good souls who had come to my rescue. Soon they too lost control of the situation as they  got lost in the crowd!

Thankfully, lunch was getting over when the sensitive nostrils of my buddies picked up the smell of chocolate, pop corn, ice-cream and cotton candy! The rest is to be imagined!

My final job was to line up these nine lively ‘brats’ to catch a bus! Waiting at the bus shelter was another challenging experience. Once in the bus they all started darting for seats which were all occupied. Nothing seemed to deter them from giving up their hunt! They did squeeze themselves here and there! My next job was to round them up and place them together!

Reaching home was the happiest and most relaxing experience of my life in recent days! No sheep was lost and I thanked the Lord for trying my patience and getting the children to safety!

I am hoping to have another experience soon so that I can exercise my skill in children-management and get an award too ! I have become younger now by ten years!


No comments:

Post a Comment